1.19.2014

ze kindle, thus far

Thus far my experience with my Kindle has been absolutely great. I've stuck to my plan to check out things primarily from the library and wait it out and read other things instead of impulse buying everything under the sun.

I've read a ton, it's too easy not to spend the five minutes between putting my kettle on and making tea reading. I take it everywhere, it has become like a third arm, and I'm sure I weird out waitresses and bartenders with my incessant disconnecting.

Part of what's been great about it is I don't hesitate to checkout books I would never, ever buy in a store. Memoir about spoiler gossip columnist turned foodie, suuuure (Apron Anxiety: My Messy Affairs In and Out of the Kitchen by Alyssa Shelasky), book about distance running, okay (did not actually end up reading that one), but also I've gotten a chance to plow through memoirs and novels I've been dying to read for free.

So far I've read:
Elsewhere: A Memoir by Richard Russo (very good, very troubling)
I Feel Bad About my Neck by Nora Ephron (love her, love her)
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (a great escape into creep-fiction)
Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox (distance swimming, YES)
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by my idol Cheryl Strayed (amazing, I want to be her rebel niece or close confidant so so bad)

Now I've started:
Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So‑Called Hospitality by Jacob Tomsky
The Expats by Chris Pavone
and Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg

Soon to come: books about travel, books about Paris, books about midwifery, & books about film.