1.12.2014

why I sold out and bought a Kindle

oh hai it's meeeee
If you've ever talked to me about your Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc. I have either silently or loudly judged you. I was born in 1990 and I've had a computer ever since I can remember. To me, having a device simply to read books seems weird. I have a laptop, I have an iPhone, I have what I need. Or so I thought!

I read a lot, or what I consider to be a lot, although I'm sure everyone else reads a lot more. In the last few years I've purchased dozens of books about all manner of subjects. Some I have read and loved (How to be a Woman, Spiritual Midwifery, Me Talk Pretty One Day, HARRY POTTER) and some not so much. I was given an Amazon gift card for Christmas and had been mulling over purchasing a Kindle for some time. I decided to take the plunge, ordered a Kindle Paperwhite and haven't looked back.

Thus far I've completed two books, which I'm about to review: I Feel Bad About my Neck and Gone Girl. I've started a ton of others and downloaded a ton of classical literature fo' free via Free for Kindle and Project Gutenberg. I've spent $7 on books (A People's History of the United States and A Cinema of Loneliness were on major sale) and bookmarked almost everything I want to read on the local library website, awaiting my turn to check them out for 21 days and read them with great fervor.

Will this replace my love of real, actual books? I don't think so.