1.12.2014

enough with "guilty pleasures"

I don't know about you, but I'm a hermit.

In college I finally realized what I am at heart — an introvert, who, once warmed up to people through mutual interests, booze, or other means will never stop talking. That said, I can go whole days, weekends, weeks without speaking to anyone if left to my own devices. This weekend for instance, I worked from home Friday (a plague forced the whole office home to avoid cross-contamination of ear infections, flu viruses, and general icks), went to breakfast by myself Saturday, and grocery shopped Sunday.

I didn't have friends over, I didn't go out, I didn't talk on the phone with my mom. And you know what, it was great. I read obsessively on my new Kindle (more on that here) and laughed to myself, and generally had a wonderful time.  It's not uncommon for my voice to crack Monday morning talking to my co-workers because my vocal cords have been in hibernation for some 50+ hours.

While I was doing so I thought about how I should have been doing this or that and not watching Bering Sea Gold but you know what I don't care. I really don't. I don't care that to me, the perfect weekend is doing "absolutely nothing": watching TV, reading, making some great food. That's better than seeing everyone I know and killing myself trying to keep up. To me, the guilt is in the judgement of others, not that I myself care.

On that note, here are some of the things I truly, truly love and don't care if they're guilty pleasures to others:

  • Garbage television – we're talking Ragin' Cajuns, Gilmore Girls, and New Girl and whatever, they're wonderful
  • Pajamas – if only I had the pajama wardrobe of Jess from New Girl I'd be the happiest camper 
  • A good dirty martini at 3pm – of course this on the weekends but it's so decedant to drink mid-day while watching Swamp Loggers
  • Popular fiction – This has only started since college when I retreated into Harry Potter during final week, it continues now with the top sellers being read in the bathtub without a care in the world
  • Eating really nice, expensive cheese. This is one of the biggest things I've latched onto that's at times actually been an obscene pleasure as I couldn't actually afford to be eating the stuff
Guilty? I think not.