2.15.2014

young marriage

Today I received a letter from my long-term pen pal about recently getting engaged. She's been with her current partner for about.... 5 months? 4? I can't remember but I think she met him after Halloween.

She mentioned her mom is having a hard time dealing with the news but her fiancĂ©'s family is really supportive. Immediately I sided with her mom — it's too quick and they're too young and blah blah. I then saw another young friend's engagement on Facebook to someone it seems like she barely knows. I've dated people for years and feel like I can barely let them borrow a movie without worrying slightly about never seeing them/it again. Granted, I've historically dated horrible people but seriously, how do you decide in under like 20 years you can spend your whole life with someone?

Mostly when these posts are made I feel bitter. Really, really bitter. And that's too bad! Why should I be jealous of something that I know, deep down, I may never really want or need. I've thought a lot about being married and I don't know if the whole thing is for me. The idea is nice, spending the rest of your life with someone, but in reality I don't know if it's something I can sustain.

When photos of diamond rings and smiles and roses are thrown in my face on the internet it's hard to sit back and rationalize and think about what I really want. It's easy to be jealous and sad and mad at the same time when faced with princess cut rings and puppies and joy.


me! from amazing photo shoot with Katy of Katheryn Moran Photography
I have me, and I need to spend some more time getting to know myself and having that be enough before I can decide to hang out with one person for the rest of my life.