2.10.2014

Claire Underwood

from here
Claire Underwood. Claire freakin' Underwood.

From the moment I saw her on the first episode of House of Cards I was absolutely smitten. I mean, I've loved a ton of stuff Robin Wright has been in (Princess Bride, White OleanderGirl With the Dragon Tattoo, etc. etc.) but nothing compares to this role.

In order of things I love most about Claire:
  1. Her sass – this woman knows what she wants and gets it
  2. Her hair & style – simple, sleek, bold, her hair was part of my inspiration for my own dramatic haircut 
  3. She's her own, very separate person from her husband – this might be controversial but when she leaves to NYC without telling Francis and could care less if he figures out where she is. She has her own non-profit and while she relies on Francis to help maneuver more money for her cause the two are not inexplicably linked.
  4. She's not an "ice bitch" as some have claimed. She's a woman who has her own business and a marriage and deals with things the way she sees fit. Honestly, if I were married to a high-level politician my marriage might look similar to hers (perhaps without the accepted open marriage, perhaps not!) and certainly she's living her own life.
  5. She reminds me of Abbey Barlet! Strong, independent women behind strong political men makes for wonderful television.
Friday I will not be eating a romantic dinner, I will be stuffing my face with pizza binge-watching House of Cards season 2 for more amazing Claire Underwood moments.