2.13.2014

11 things about being an adult

When I was little all I wanted was to be a "grown up". I wanted to drive a car, I wanted to buy my own stuff, I wanted to watch whatever I wanted to watch when I wanted to watch it, etc. If only I had known then that adulthood isn't what it's cracked up to be at times — sure it's great, but it comes with a lot of crap I didn't realize and still hate about being an adult.

Here's my list of the 11 things I wish I would have known to prepare for as a young person about being a real-life adult type. And by that I mean someone who lives independently, completely supports themselves and otherwise does not have a mom to do their laundry.

1. Figuring out some adult things can be really difficult/scary – let me be specific: renting an apartment, obtaining a line of credit, finding a dentist/doctor/eye doctor/allergist can be really tedious. If you're anything like me your mother/guardian/whoever made your orthodontist appointments for you growing up. They had to pick you up and drive you to and fro and excuse you from school so it was really more important to be on their schedule than your own. As an adult you have to find time to work (so you can have insurance) as well as spend countless hours stressing out about who will best understand your medical history or your allergies to all dental numbing medications (true story, it sucks). When I rented my current apartment I had to apply ($50 fee), wait to be approved, then pay my damage deposit, a processing fee (FEES!! ACK!), and my first month's rent in CASH! How do I do that! I work for cheap!

2. Money SUCKS – Budgeting is the worst. Realizing you don't have enough money to go anywhere during the vacation time you have to take because you're incapable of budgeting is worse. Figuring out how you can afford new glasses, food, rent, and tickets to Sasquatch is beyond comprehension (hint – you cannot). 

3. Keep tabs on important stuff is hard – I don't know about you, but when my mother was in possession of my Passport I felt a little safer. When you turn 18 you don't automatically gain super powers to keep track of important items better than your other ones. The key is to remember things are important (W2s, Passports, Social Security Cards, etc.) and pick a place to store them. Or get a safety deposit box and let someone else deal with it.

4. Once you're out of school vacations and time off is limited, and lame – As aforementioned it's not totally out of the question to have vacation time you must take and nothing to do. In school it was lovely to think about summer vacation and doing nothing for weeks on end but somehow as an adult it's really pathetic. Take my advice and start saving so when you do have the rare holiday or week off you can do something amazing.

5. Paying bills is sketchy – Credit scores? US Postal Service? Cheques? What? Paying rent, bills, etc. can be odd and annoying. I, for instance, was never taught to balance a checkbook so I spend my time wondering what all the weird charges are on my debit card. I'm not alone, and as far as I know I'm not in a crazy minority of people who don't realize where their money is going but in general cutting checks isn't fun, having people/companies lose your money/double bill you/forget to deposit your check is awful.

6. Food is a real hassle – Who knew eating three times a day could be such a pain? I don't remember meals as a child always being spectacular but at 6:00 every night I was presented with some starch, meat, and vegetables. Who makes that now? OH WAIT ME. Enter: eating fancy versions of top ramen (egg drop anyone!), mashed potatoes, and lots of salads for the rest of your sad life. What's worse, if you're single and/or poor it sucks even more – double suck! 

7. Traveling can be a challenge – Are you between the ages of 18 and 25? If so you are an adult but cannot rent a car! If you desire to travel as an adult but you aren't yet old enough to rent a vehicle you're screwed unless you: 1) bring a nice, old lady friend with you (that's all I really have), 2) bring a parent, 3) date old people who can rent whatever they want (ZING!).

8. Working full-time is soul stealing – Sure the paycheck at the end of a 160 hour work month is nice, but really it's depressing to wake up and realize you spend almost 20 years in school just to continue to wake up before you naturally would, put on clothes you wouldn't normally wear, and go suck up to DA MAN. Just kidding, it's not that bad. Find a job that suits your desires and/or one that isn't a big deal and pays decently and move on.

9. Maintenance – Stuff breaks, you have to pay to fix it. My car, for instance, decided to have all sorts of things I've never even heard of fall off of it (cv boots? what are this?) costing me a literal month's salary to fix. Booooo on that.

10. Responsibility on the brain – 21! Woo! Drinking alcohols! Wait — how will I get home? If I take a cab how will I get my car back tomorrow? Will I be towed? Should I actually be drinking tonight? Never mind, guess I'll go home and watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets yet again. This conversation has happened countless times in my head when making a decision about my evening plans. Sure I go out, but I'm careful about where I go/what I do because in the end if I get in trouble for drinking and driving or peeing in an alley or whatever it's on me, I'm 23 not 13 and no one is responsible for my actions but me.

11. Not enough time! – Mostly as an adult there isn't enough time to do all the amazing adult things you want to do. Being a kid was cool but options were limited to what you could independently afford from sidewalk shoveling and hamster-sitting or what your parents would fund. Now options are far more broad but deciding what to do can be difficult. Being an adult actually rocks most of the time, like right now when I'm writing this in my pajamas because I can work from home at my job and watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and drinking delicious tea (caffeine after 5pm!). I'm planning vacations, deciding if I prefer to stick with flannel or cotton sheets (hahahahahaha cotton yea right) and generally doing what I want when I want to do it.