2.22.2014

post House of Cards

from here
Last night I wrapped up House of Cards season two (I know! What took me so long!) and I am seriously exhausted.

I thought, and tweeted about, and yapped to my friends about just starting it over again once I was finished. I know I missed a ton of stuff, from Claire Underwood fashion moments, to the 7,000 layers of manipulation in each episode, to subtle clues about people like Jackie Sharp and Rachel. But I can't, I need a break.

I love this show more than anything I've seen in a long time but at some point all the manipulations and backstabbing and calculated dealings wore me down to a cynical nubbins of a person and I have to escape to something brighter.

This season's introduction of new highly calculating characters (Tusk, Jackie Sharp, Xander Feng, et al) made it much more difficult for me to keep track of at times. I'm not saying it was too much, or I didn't enjoy every single second of it, but between murder(s?), betrayals, threesomes, deep internet dealings and all manners of political plotting I could do nothing more than stare at the screen and contemplate taking notes on how everything webbed together. When Remmy visited an old man in a crazy empty house I had no idea that man was actually Ted Havemeyer. That's how crazy this season was! You forget about people 10 episodes after they were a major plot device.

I'm watching Harry Potter, Bob's Burgers and some other jazz and then I'll be back to claim all the details I missed this season.