11.30.2014

top 10 films of 2014

Last year I put together my list of top 10 films of 2013 and I am here today to do the same for 2014!

If you've been tracking my blog or my life or me you know that my bff Wendy and I have been trying to see 50 films at the Pickford Film Center by January 1st. Unfortunately we didn't meet that goal but we saw a ton of movies all the same (check out our list here).

Without further adieu, the best of the best for 2014, note that they are not in any sort of order:

Boyhood
photo from here
I could write about Boyhood forever and ever and ever (mostly because it took forever to make and there's so much to say). I loved just about everything in this film. It's flawless. It represents childhood for some children in America, including a lot of things that I align with — some that I didn't as well. Ellar Coltrane is 20, the same age as my sister, and since this was shot from 2002 – 2013 I felt like I was growing up along with them. Everything from the music, to the wardrobe, to the current events encapsulates time in a way no other film has or probably ever again will.


Dallas Buyer's Club
photo from here
I wrote a bit about Dallas Buyer's Club here. This was such a strange strange comeback year for Matthew McConanghaheheyhey — from True Detective, to Dallas Buyer's Club, to The Wolf of Wall Street he's doing some serious work. Mmm hmmmm hmmmmm mmmmmm *chest bump with fist*.


Alien Boy: The Life and Death of James Chasse
photo from here
I wrote in depth about my thoughts on this film in this blog entry. What an amazing film. I hope this has a chance to come to Netflix or PBS so more can see it but get your hands on it however you can.


The Grand Budapest Hotel
photo from here
On a lighter note, this film is incredible. This is the most Wes Anderson of Wes Anderson movies ever made. The colors, the lighting, the sets, oh my god the sets. I can't get enough of Zero and Agatha and just everyone in this. Tilda Swinton! And Adrien Brody! And Willem Dafoe!


Obvious Child
photo from here
I talked about Obvious Child as well as the film below, on this blog entry: summer films. I still can't get over the significance of seeing this film on the day Burwell v. Hobby Lobby was announced. If you've watched my much yacked about favorite show Bob's Burgers you might be familiar with some of Jenny Slate's other work as the characters Tammy and she is also responsible for the work of genius that is Marcel In the Shell. See it, love it.


Ida
photo from here
Ida. Oh lord Ida. When I saw this in theaters I was surprised at how many people complained about the ending — spoiler alert, indie films don't always end the way you expect them to/how you want them to. Get over it. This film is so subtle and lovely and dark. The main actress is ethereal to her aunt's alcoholic mess of a life. This film is now available on Netflix.


Vi är bäst! aka We Are The Best!
photo from here
Story of my childhood! But in Swedish! Three girls struggle to find their identities, their boyfriends, their ideal hairstyle and most importantly their musical tastes. This is basically the story of my life from age 11 - present. This film is now available on Netflix.


Gone Girl
photo from here
Ugh this movie! I read the book, which now I kind of regret because the movie wasn't as suspenseful as it could have been.  I sat between my bff Wendy and an older lady who kept saying "OH GOD!" when something shocking happened. I was kind of tipsy and shouted things like "NOOO DOOGIE HOWSER!". But at the end of the day this was an incredible film and continues to prove that David Fincher can do no wrong. I also love that Fincher continues to use Trent Rznor and Atticus Ross for the soundtracks and that this film was produced almost entirely by WOMEN. GO FIGURE. This is also a great comeback film for Ben Affleck.


Tracks
photo from here
The true story of Robyn Davidson's trek across Australia in 1977. Mia Wasikowska was so good in this, I mean, she's great in everything (The Kids Are Alright, Jane Eyre, Only Lovers Left Alive, etc. etc.) but she was incredible in this. Really the breakout star of this is Adam Driver who has been in so much this year it's hard to remember (and Frances Ha notably last year). The adventure of this film is worth watching it alone, and the scenery is absolutely incredible. While I didn't feel like taming some camels and hitting the trail it, like so many other books and films, inspired me to continue to explore and adventure.


Birdman
photo from here
The final film worth mentioning this year, Alejandro González Iñárritu does it again with this film. If you're like, what is that crazy name, who is this person please recall the masterpieces: Amores perros, 21 Grams, Babel, and Biutiful. This film was a bit of a departure in that it was less depressing and more magical than his previous works (Biutiful is available on Netflix and is soul-crushingly amazing). Michael Keaton hasn't been in anything worthwhile mmm possibly ever/since Beetlejuice but this was incredible. Emma Stone, Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton, Andrea Riseborough, Amy Ryan, and Naomi Watts KILL IT. Run don't walk to go see this before it's too late.


A few fun things to note: several of these films represent huge breakouts for stars like Ellar Coltrane, Jenny Slate, Tony Revolori, and the ladies of We Are The Best! they also represent some amazing roles for females and some comebacks for Matthew McConahahgheyhey, Ethan Hawke, Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton. What a year for film!

That's it for this year. Honorable mentions go out to: Nebraska (Netflix), The Pretty One, Finding Vivian Maier, Life Itself, Alive Inside (Netflix), Skeleton Twins, and Rich Hill.

∆∆∆