9.13.2014

sense of self


From a fairly early age I think I've had a pretty decent grasp of who I am. When people made fun of my blue hair or my clothes or my brain I was hurt, of course, but in the end I didn't really care because I knew who I was. I've a hard time post-college, and even towards the end of college itself, making friends and keeping them. I felt like people didn't really understand me or my life choices so it was difficult to keep them around for long.

When I moved into my 1-bedroom apartment after I graduated college I kind of knew it would limit my social interactions, I just didn't realize how much at the time. Even living with people I didn't really know, as I did for 2 years of college, I saw people everyday that I didn't work with. Now I see people at work, and a few close friends I cherish dearly once a week or so, and that's pretty much it.

Enter, the Pacific Northwest Riders forum. A group of motorcyclists in Washington state, with specific boards in Bellingham dedicated to bikes and rides and people.

I posted a few questions and items to kind of test the waters before I decided to join in on one of their weekly meet-ups. I was incredibly apprehensive about going and at the last minute drug my neighbor, who also rides, along with me. Surprise, people were super nice! Being that I was one of two women at the meet-up of about 10 people (me pictured far right, by the other girl, and the minion) I was nervous but everyone was excited, it seemed, that I was there.


After burgers we went on a ride down Chuckanut Drive where I did my best to not spazz out and kill everyone else. We participated in the photo tag thread of the forum and got a photo by the last place posted and then took photos for our own tag once we got back to Bellingham.  (me on far right again).


It was awesome to be around other bikers but mostly it was nice to be around some other people. I find myself repeating the same work - home - tv - dinner - sleep - work - home - tv - dinner - sleep cycle forever without really interacting with new and interesting people very often. I don't talk to the checker in the grocery store, I don't make smalltalk with other customers at the coffee shop, I don't get out there.

I'm hopeful this group of people will help me break out and make some new friends. And maybe even someone to help me hold my bike up so I can lube my chain, you never know!

∆∆∆